Sunday, April 8, 2012

My Take On The Comic Book Movies of 2011

Hello everyone and thank you for giving your sweet, valuable time to Comical-Musings. We often strive to bring you strong opinions and good suggestions for comic books to read. 2011 was a great year for comic book movies and we saw the release of multiple films from different genres and publishers. The comic book movie is important to the art form and comic fanboys geek out when a favorite character is committed to film. My 2011 comic book experience might not be what you would expect from a comic book blogger. This is because in 2011, I saw one comic book movie. Just one. Cowboys and Aliens came out. Didn't see it. Green Lantern came out. Didn't see it. Captain America came out. Didn't see it. You get the idea. I had reasons for why I didn't take in any of these films and confession is good for the soul, so here we go...





This is why I didn't watch most of the comic book movies of 2011 (in release date order)


The Green Hornet:
I don't like Seth Rogen. He is a one note joke and that joke is typically a marijuana joke. Now, full disclosure, I really liked Pineapple Express, but I have too many good friends that were made complacent by their love of weed. Also, this movie seemed like a waste of time when all things were considered.

Priest:
This movie is "technically" comic-related, but not enough for me to care, or... you know... spend $10.

Thor:
This is the one I have the least excuse for not seeing. Many of my friends saw it and liked it, it was well received by critics and comic book journalists alike, and I know nothing about Thor. It would have been simple to meet my expectations, but I didn't give it the chance. I talked about seeing this movie at least three times, but when I thought about frost trolls, I just couldn't do it. I'm glad that Thor did what it did though, because it was nice to see the general public embrace a comic book franchise that often goes unnoticed. Well done, Thor. I'll catch you on cable soon.

X-Men: First Class:
This has the distinction of being the only comic book film of 2011 that I watched. One of my best buddies, Freddy, and I used to have a tradition of watching all comic book movies together (usually opening weekend). That's right, we watched Eric Bana`s Hulk front row, opening day. We both enjoyed the X-Men over the years and so, when we decided to renew the tradition with one movie this year, this film made sense. I really enjoyed this movie and felt like with a low budget, above par acting and a good plot, this movie succeeded. X-Men: First Class is the model I want taken with all of my favorite franchises.

Green Lantern:
This movie barely made the money that it spent on advertising and so we ended up with an over- hyped waste of time that even our resident Lantern lover disliked. A+ for Ryan Reynolds not settling for being a secondary character in big budget movies, but F- for not being very good at acting.

Transformers 3:
Michael Bay made robots racist in number 2 and his inclusion of robot heaven put it over the top enough for me to miss that sweet scene where they're worm robot eats the building.

Captain America: The First Avenger:
Cap enjoyed the film and wrote about it here.  To me, this movie looks great and after renting it from Redbox and not returning it, I guess that I own it. It's a hard one to watch with the kids, but I'm sure that I will get around to watching it soon. I mean, it's not like my kids stay up all night and it's nearly impossible to get anything done now... right?

Cowboys and Aliens:
When I first saw the preview for this film, I was all in. Then, I found out that it was a comic book movie and I was nearly jumping for joy. I read the original comic and enjoyed it, but then the movie came out and all of a sudden, all of the cool alien stuff was missing, no flying horses, and random partial nudity was what I was offered. Turned me off enough to not care.

And that's it, my excuses for missing out on 2011 in comic book films. I don't feel any worse, honestly. Here's to hoping that 2012 literally compels me to the theater.  I mean, Avengers will be good right?

~ Scott Deaux ~

2 comments:

  1. How are you doing so far this year? Did you see Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not yet seen Ghost Rider 2 although I REALLY wanted to. I heard he pees fire! It's on the Oscar-watch list right? But, seriously, I really enjoyed Ifanboy.com's review of it as they pointed out that it may not have necessarily been made for a United States audience. Nic Cage makes lots of money in foreign markets and the movie was filmed cheaply with big foreign profits. Weird to think about it in a non-ethnocentric sort of way. Here's a link to the podcasted review.

      http://ifanboy.com/podcasts/02-19-2012-ghost-rider-spirit-of-vengeance/

      Delete